Roy Skelton was a British actor and the voice for the original Daleks in Doctor Who. He’s also know for being the famous voice behind Zippy and George from the UK’s children’s show Rainbow. Roy sadly passed away in June 2011.
Interview conducted 5th May 2004
Questions to Roy Skelton
- When you were younger you trained at drama school and you had a successful time performing in the West End as well as rep theatre like Bristol Old Vic. Looking back on it all now, over forty years later, are you happy with the career decisions you’ve made? You followed the path of TV and voice acting, but do you regret not carrying on with stage work?
- You wrote many of the scripts for Rainbow. Due to the immense success of the show has it not tempted you two write for other children shows? You obviously have a gift for it.
- What do you think of children’s programmes today, do you think could have a touch of Roy Skelton to them?
- When you started Rainbow you had already been working on Dr. Who. So to start at the beginning, what did you have to do for your audition as a Dalek?
- How did you come up with the voice for the Dalek? Did you voice go through a computer system?
- In reference to your career, in years to come what would you most like to be remembered for? The voice that entertained kids for generations, or the voice that scared basically the crap out of everyone? Which one are you most proud of?
- Which one would you say you’re more like, Zippy or George?
- You never did any puppeteering throughout your time in Rainbow, but didn’t you ever want to have your hand up where the sun don’t shine?
- Did you ever want to jump inside a Dalek?
- If there is one famous person you could put a zip on the mouth of, who would it be and why?
- George, what’s the deal? There’s been a lot of speculation about this pink hippo. Is he camp, gay, bi?
- Obviously you can’t do both voices at the same time, but can we get a sort of duet from Zippy and George singing the Rainbow theme tune?
- Daleks are supposed to be one of the ultimate baddies in TV history. But why didn’t Doctor Who just go up a flight of stairs, surely Daleks can’t go upstairs? Can you do an impression of a Dalek trying to get upstairs?
- Was there one recording you did of the word ‘exterminate’ that was used over and over again?
- What do you think about Christopher Eccleston being the new Doctor? Are you going to be a part of the new series?
- The sound of a Dalek is a scratchy rough voice, and is fairly similar to Zippy’s. Did you ever get a bad throat?
- There’s the infamous episode that has been leaked on the Internet where you all talk about your twangers and you sing the plucking song. For the listeners that have not heard it, I’ve made a compilation of it. Here it is – RAINBOW INNUENDO COMPILATION IS PLAYED – Now this cleverly made episode was actually intended for a competition of outtakes, am I right in saying that? Did you write it?
- Zippy was involved a couple of years back in the big Marmite advertising campaign. Do you like Marmite?
- Being over seventy years of age, you haven’t officially retired yet, as a matter of fact only two years ago you released your first pop song. Did you enjoy recording that?
- Are you still in contact with Geoffrey’s. What did you think of his idea of making an adult version of Rainbow?
- They brought back Rainbow in the mid 90’s. You weren’t a part of that, were you approached for it?
- Is the voice registered and copyrighted to you?
- How would you say you’ve contributed to the good of mankind?
- My programme controller at the radio station would like you to say a line for his show, his name is David Reece, is that okay?